5 Questions with Keana (and a Contest, Too!)
We’re always looking for young artists that inspire hope, and Keana Texeria—a young and talented artist who is making a name for herself in Japan and here in the States—is all about inspiration. As a devout animal lover who is aiming to do whatever she can to help animals, we recently sat down with Keana to get her take on all things animal rights. Check out our 5 Questions Q&A!
Photo credit: KRISTIAN DOWLING
1. Why did you want to get involved with peta2?
I love animals so much. Since I was little, I’ve wanted to be either a veterinarian or marine biologist (dogs and dolphins are two of my favorite species). I’ve always wanted to do all I can to help and raise awareness for their benefit. I am so excited to get involved with peta2 not only to express my love for animals, but also be a voice for them since they can’t speak for themselves.
2. Animals killed in the fur trade are electrocuted, beaten, and even skinned alive. With so many fashionable alternatives to fur, there’s no reason for anyone to buy the real thing. That being said, what is your response to the following fill in the blank sentence: People who wear fur are _______.
3. Have there been any bands, artists, or books that have influenced your views on animal rights?
I’ve been an animal lover and advocate from the beginning. One film that has definitely influenced my views is The Cove, especially because the dolphin slaughter ongoing in Japan; is happening in a country that has launched my career.
4. Are there any other animal rights issues that you feel passionate about?
Definitely the dolphin killings. It breaks my heart what is happening to these poor, innocent dolphins. I want to do everything I can to help them! It’s [so] sad that it’s happening in a country that has launched a very successful career for me. But if I have to sacrifice losing my fans for speaking out to help stop the slaughter, so be it.
5. What advice would you give to your fans who want to get more involved with animal rights but aren’t sure where to start?
Start in your local community. See how you can get involved in helping homeless or abused animals. Definitely follow and learn more about PETA and peta2 to see what you can do for animals around the World who are in need of our help. Remember, animals cannot speak. They cannot fend for themselves. It’s up to us to provide them with love, nurturing, and safety so they can live a happy life just as we do. ?
That’s great advice! Thanks, Keana! Speaking of dolphins, ya’ll should sign our petition to help the intelligent, social sea animals that are imprisoned by SeaWorld.
After you’ve signed, tell us in the comments below why you will be sure to steer clear of SeaWorld for a chance to win one autographed copy of Keana’s new album Still In A Dream. Did I mention that this album is only available in Japan? So cool! The contest ends on May 11, 2011, and 1 winner will be chosen at random and notified by May 18, 2011.
No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Also by commenting, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions.