Why You Shouldn't Drink Milk
It’s already common knowledge that cow’s milk is bad for you, but more and more people are beginning to realize that it’s even worse for the cows used in its production. The following are 18 reasons why you should never drink cow’s milk again:
1. Cows produce milk for the same reason humans do―to feed their babies.
2. To keep the milk flowing, female cows are artificially inseminated every year using what farmers call “rape racks.”
3. Ten months later, the cows’ calves are born, and a strong bond instantly forms between mother and baby.
4. But they won’t have much time together.
5. After one to three days, babies are typically taken away from their mothers, which causes both cow and calf extreme distress.
6. They will never see each other again.
7. The male calves are often sold to the veal industry.
8. There, they are kept in tiny crates to keep their flesh tender.
9. They will be killed after just a few miserable months of life.
10. The female calves will likely follow in their mothers’ footsteps in the dairy industry.
11. But first, they will be dehorned.
12. Dehorning is a procedure in which cows have their horns or horn tissue removed using saws, sharp wires, hot irons, guillotine dehorners, or caustic chemicals. Pain killers are not used.
13. Cows’ horns are full of sensitive nerves, so this is extremely painful.
14. The cows will spend the rest of their lives as milk machines, forced to produce four and a half times as much milk as they normally would for their calf.
15. When not on a factory farm, cows can live to be 20 years old.
16. But cows used for milk are usually slaughtered for low-grade meat when they’re around 4 years old.
17. That means four years of suffering in cramped spaces, enduring repeated artificial insemination, developing udder infections, and having their calves traumatically taken from them shortly after birth.
18. When you buy dairy products, you’re supporting this inhumane cycle.
What You Can Do
Ditch dairy products! At first, it may seem challenging to give up cheese and milk, but with all the delicious alternatives that are now available, you’ll see that avoiding dairy products is easier than ever. Most major grocery store chains carry vegan cheese, soy or almond milk, and even vegan ice cream! There are tons of vegan options even at places like Starbucks and Taco Bell. You’ll be healthier, and you’ll feel great knowing that no one had to die for your food.
Remember: For just a few minutes of enjoyment from eating that slice of cheese, a cow had to suffer her WHOLE life.
Want to help animals on the go? Download our new peta2 iPhone app!