WTF! Fish Jumps off Dinner Plate
Ever seen the food on your plate come to life? No? Well, that’s what happens in this video … kinda.
You can hear this family scream as the fish they’re about to eat jumps up! But what should really bother them is the suffering and fear that this animal endured as he or she struggled to breathe while being pulled out of the water to be cut up and served as dinner.
Fish are far more complex than most people realize, and studies have shown that they can experience fear, pain, stress, and suffering. Dr. Donald Broom, scientific adviser to the British government, has stated that anatomically, physiologically, and biologically, the nervous system in fish is virtually the same as in mammals. Fish are highly social animals who communicate, form bonds, and even grieve when others are lost.
And if that doesn’t persuade you not to eat them, here are a few more reasons:
- It’s bad for your health. According to TheNew England Journal of Medicine, fish “are the main if not the only source of methyl mercury,” a substance that has been linked to cardiovascular disease, fetal brain damage, blindness, deafness, and problems with motor skills, language, and attention span. Yikes!
- When fish are yanked from the water, they begin to suffocate. Their gills often collapse, and their swim bladders can rupture because of the sudden change in pressure. Awful, right?
- Fishing kills more than just fish. One out of every five manatee rescues conducted in the 1980s and ’90s was related to fishing-line entanglement, and during a four-year span, at least 35 dolphinsdied from injuries that they sustained as a result of being tangled in fishing line.
- Fishing hurts the environment. Many commercial fishing vessels practice bottom-trawling (scraping a device across the bottom of the ocean)in order to catch sea animals who live near, on, or under the sea floor, such as flounder, cod, grouper, shrimp, and scallops. Scientists say that the destruction caused by bottom-trawling is similar to that caused by clear-cutting old forests, only on a far greater scale.
What You Can Do
ALL animals deserve a life without suffering, regardless of whether they have fur or fins. Helping fish is easy!
- Leave fish off your fork. Pledge to go vegan today.
- Share peta2’s shocking “Silent Scream” video on Facebook, Twitter, or Tumblr to urge your friends to make the connection that eating fish is no different from eating a dog or cat.
- Love seafood? Try Gardein Fishless Filets instead!