Fresh & Flavorful: Chef Chloe's Avocado Pesto Recipe
One of my favorite things to do on any given night is to stay in and cook. I recently discovered Chef Chloe, the young vegan chef extraordinaire (she had the first vegan cupcake to win Cupcake Wars), and I had to try her recipes! They’re truly tasty and full of simple, easy to find ingredients. So, whether you’re a veteran home cook or just starting out, Chef Chloe’s recipes are a great resource.
We have a couple of Chef Chloe’s recipes to share with you over the next few weeks, and first up is the Avocado Pesto Pasta. If you’re a fan of traditional pesto, this recipe is for you! The avocado makes the sauce nice and creamy, and it’s full of naturally healthy ingredients, like basil, garlic, and pine nuts (I’m a big fan of toasting pine nuts and snacking on them all day… oh, drool). The next time your parents bug you to eat your greens, tell them you’ll cook tonight and wow them with this recipe!
Photo credit: Courtesy of Chloe Coscarelli
- 1 pound dried linguini
- 1 bunch basil leaves (about 2.5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 of a lemon)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes (optional)
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add pasta and cook to package directions. While pasta cooks, in a food processor, blend basil, pine nuts, avocados, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain pasta. In a large serving bowl, toss pesto with hot, freshly cooked pasta and garnish each serving with a basil leaf. For an extra touch of color and flavor, top pasta with sundried tomatoes.
Thank you, Chef Chloe, for sharing this yumtastic recipe. Now it’s time for *YOU* to give this recipe a try and get your cook on this weekend!