Keep Pork Off Your Fork
All right compassionate peeps, please tell your friends to stop eating dead “Babes” and “Wilburs” and to go the meat-free route! Here are our top eight reasons to ditch pork and put delicious Babe-free alternatives in your belly instead.
be_khe / CC by 2.0
- Porking You Up: It ain’t rocket science—ham, sausage, and bacon will prolly be a major culprit in making you a fatty. These products, which are loaded with artery-clogging cholesterol and saturated fat, can also increase your chances of developing deadly diseases such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Pigs Have Feelings, Too: Ninety-seven percent of pigs in the US today are raised in factory farms, where they are crowded into warehouses and kept on a steady diet of drugs (to keep them alive and make them grow faster).
- Eating a pig is like eating your dog! According to research, pigs are much smarter than dogs, and they even do better at video games than some primates. In fact, pigs are extremely clever and social animals who have excellent memories.
- Pigs Prefer Mud, Not Crud: Forget the silly saying “sweating like a pig”—pigs can’t even sweat! That’s why they bathe in water or mud to cool off. But in factory farms, they’re forced to live in their own feces and vomit and even amid the corpses of other pigs.
- Farming Family Values: Mother pigs spend most of their lives in tiny “gestation” crates, which are so tiny that they can’t even turn around or lie down comfortably. They are repeatedly impregnated until they are slaughtered. Piglets, taken away from their mothers after just a few weeks, have their tails chopped off, their teeth clipped, and the males are castrated—all without painkillers.
- What’s that stanky smell? A pig farm with 5,000 animals produces as much fecal waste as a city of 50,000 people. To get around water pollution limits, factory farms will often take the tons of pee and poo that are stored in cesspools and turn them into liquid waste that they spray into the air. This manure-filled mist is carried away by the wind and inhaled by the people who live nearby.
- Killing Them Without Kindness: A typical slaughterhouse kills up to 1,100 pigs every hour, which makes it impossible for them to be given humane, painless deaths. Because of improper stunning methods and extremely fast line speeds, many pigs are still alive when they are dumped into scalding-hot hair-removal tanks—they literally drown in scalding-hot water.
- Ditch the Bacon and Get Fakin': There are so many tasty faux ham, sausage and bacon substitutes that you’re gonna flip out. They taste better, they’re better for you, and of course, they’re better for the piggies.
If you plan on never eating pork again, holler below and let us know. xo