Recipe of the Week: 'Cheesy' Tofu Scramble With Avocado
This month’s Recipe of the Week theme is breakfast—the most important meal of the day, right? And if you’re like me and don’t want to eat a bunch of cholesterol-filled chicken periods, you want to skip the eggs. I’m sharing the dish I’m most obsessed with right now—and yeah, I have been known to eat this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner: Tofu scramble!
My fave part about tofu scramble? You can throw in whatever veggies, seasonings, and sauces you like! I used to follow recipes strictly from books, and while those are usually tasty, there’s nothing like coming up with your own take on this classic vegan dish. Here’s mine:
‘Cheesy’ Tofu Scramble With Avocado
1 block extra-firm tofu, drained
2 Tbsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos
Garlic powder, black pepper, and turmeric, to taste
1 1/2 cups nutritional yeast (if you don’t know what this is, do yourself a favor and educate yo’self! Nutritional yeast gives dishes a nutty, cheesy flavor and is packed with B vitamins!)
1 tomato, diced
3 green onions, sliced
1 bunch spinach, chopped
1 small head broccoli, chopped
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 avocado, halved and sliced
- Drain your tofu (or buy the tofu that comes in sealed packs like this.
- Crumble your tofu and put into a pan. You shouldn’t need water or oil, but make sure it doesn’t stick and stir frequently for a minute or two. If it starts to stick, add in a few tiny splashes of water.
- Put half of your Bragg Aminos and the garlic powder, pepper, and turmeric into the pan and coat the tofu. Let simmer for a minute or two.
- Add in about half of your nutritional yeast and stir so it coats your tofu. Stir frequently for about a minute.
- Add the tomato, onions, spinach, and broccoli along with a bit more of your nutritional yeast. By this time, this should smell delish!
- Add the rest of your Bragg Aminos, nutritional yeast, and the lemon juice and stir frequently for about 4 to 5 minutes or until your veggies are starting to get tender. At this point, you want to cook off any extra moisture that might be in your pan—so turn up the heat, but stir frequently. Heat through.
- Adjust the seasonings and/or nutritional yeast if needed, scoop your masterpiece onto a plate, and top with the avocado.
This goes great along with toast—yum! And because of the nutritional yeast and turmeric, it will have a nice yellow look to it, which can trick even the most annoying meat-eating relative. 🙂
Seriously, make this over the weekend, and tell me what you think!