Recipe of the Week: Easy Chocolate Truffles
The holidays might be coming to an end but feasting on delicious food doesn’t have to! Start the new year by treating yourself and your friends to these shockingly easy-to-make chocolate truffles. The chocolate chips used in the recipe are available at Whole Foods and health-food stores. If you can’t find the grain-sweetened variety, any vegan chocolate will do.
Easy Chocolate Truffles
1 cup soy or almond milk
2 Tbsp. agar flakes
18 oz. dairy-free grain-sweetened chocolate chips
Roasted or raw hazelnuts, finely chopped
Roasted coconut flakes
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the soy or almond milk and agar to a simmer.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a baking pan. Allow to cool, then refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Using a spoon, scoop up about 1 ounce of the chocolate. Roll between your hands to form a small ball. Continue until the mixture is used up.
- Roll each ball in the cocoa, hazelnuts, or coconut.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Makes 24 truffles
Bring these treats to a New Year’s Eve party. You’ll be the hit of 2012 and ready to start off another great year for animals! That’s what I’m doing!