Recipe of the Week: BBQ Tofu Steaks
When it was time for us to think of a new theme for this month’s “Recipe of the Week,” we tried to pick the most versatile food we possibly could … tofu! Tofu is rich in protein, minerals and plant components called isoflavones—making it healthy, on top of being delish! You can make almost anything with tofu, and last night I tried making BBQ tofu steaks (for the first time, and they were amaaazing!). Here they are!
- Extra firm tofu (if you find Twin Oaks Community tofu near you, buy it!)
- BBQ sauce—you can pick this up for as cheap as a buck at most grocery stores. I used A1 steak sauce for these!
- Herbs/spices—I used a pre-packaged mix of Italian herbs and then added cracked pepper.
- Olive oil to coat the grill or pan.
- Veggies—I got fancy and made collard greens and wild rice, but you can steam up some broccoli or corn, or make a salad!
If you have a grill, use it! Sadly … I don’t, but I do have a counter-top grill. I oiled it up using organic olive oil, and grilled these tofu slices (extra firm, remember? Make sure you soak all of the water out, click here for how to press tofu!) for 20-30 minutes after marinating them in A1 for about a half an hour in the fridge. I like things extra crispy (some may say burnt), but how long you grill them for is up to you. Serve and enjoy!
Try them out and let me know what you think!