Sugar, Spice and Everything VEGAN!
Oooh, we have a most special treat for you today! Our gal Amy Gorski—Street Teamer, college student, and owner of Sweet Amy’s Bakery in Milwaukee, WI—is going to be guest blogging for us. Get ready to drool!
Hi friends! Fall is nearly upon us, which means cozy sweaters, jumping in piles of leaves and treats bursting with spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. So if you’re feeling the fall flavors, try out my easy vegan recipe for Cinnamon Spice Whoopie Pies with Cream Cheeze Frosting!
Cinnamon Spice Whoopie Pies with Cream Cheeze Frosting!
1 box Duncan Hines cake mix (Spice Cake flavor)
1 1/3 cups water
1/3 cup canola oil
4 teaspoons egg replacer + 6 Tablespoons hot water
Cream Cheeze Frosting:
3 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and line your cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, beat egg replacer and hot water with an electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, oil, water and egg replacer mixture.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the liners about ¾ full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in the pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and vegetable shortening together using an electric mixer.
- Add the vanilla extract then powdered sugar to the cream cheese mixture ½ cup at a time.
- Beat for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- To assemble, slice the tops off each of the cupcakes. Take two of the sliced tops, spread the frosting on the underside and press together.
- EAT. Smile. Repeat.
Just a few helpful hints to make sure your vegan treats turn out perfect and delicious every time!
- Check your pantry to make sure you have ALL ingredients necessary before you start.
- Always preheat your oven to the correct temperature THEN put your treats in.
- DON’T PEEK! Keep the oven door closed until the entire baking time has elapsed.
- Be gentle when mixing! Too much causes weird lumps and bumps in the finished product.
- Always transfer your treats to a cooling rack—no one likes a soggy bottom cupcake!