The Lazy Vegan
First of all, I would like to start out by saying that there’s nothing wrong with being a lazy vegan—as long as you’re not lazing it up 24/7/365/lifetime.
What is a lazy vegan you ask? Well, I’d say it’s someone who a) doesn’t necessarily have the skillz, talent, or fundages to regularly whip up deluxe, fancy-schmancy food from scratch; b) is pooped from a long-ass day at school/work and just wants to veg out with some veggies; and/or c) is just too damn lazy to even think about cooking because it sounds time consuming and difficult (believe me, I’m eagerly awaiting the day we can manufacture meals with just our thoughts, all Star Trek-style).
Velo Steve / CC by 2.0
7 Tips for the Lazy Vegan
- Stock up on frozen vegan dinners (there’s a slew of them at Trader Joe’s, and there are tons of vegan-friendly brands like Amy’s, Kashi, and Helen’s Kitchen that are availble at most supermarkets)
- Always have snacks available (chips, cookies, crackers, pretzels, popcorn, hummus, energy bars, nuts, fresh fruit ? see how I threw something healthy in there?) Snacks can become meals, too—heard of Nachos 2 Go?
- Make burritos—easiest meal ev-ah! Dude, grab some tortillas, and stuff ‘em with a bunch of fave fillers like potatoes, guac, canned beans, salsa, and tofu, and viola—dinner is served!
- It’s okay to have cereal for dinner (sometimes). I’m a grown woman and I do this at least once a week! Be sure to check our accidentally vegan list for cereals—there are so many (and they’re fortified with loads of vitamins and minerals)
- One word. Ramen (Top Ramen Oriental Style flavor is vegan). It’s cheap, tasty, and ready in minutes.
- Other simple whip-upables: veggie burgers, instant mashed potatoes, canned soup, pasta with marinara… you get the idea.
- Recruit someone to come over and cook for you. This is my fave option. Sometimes, I’ll even do a trade. If you slave away over a hot stove and make me a 4-course meal (and dessert), I might do the dishes and clean up afterwards. MIGHT.
Again, I’m not encouraging anyone to be a lazy vegan… yeah, especially not YOU! I just want you to know that there are some chill options for grub on those days when you can quite muster the energy to go all out for dinsies. You’re welcome.
If you have any other tips for easy peasy food ideas, please share!