Fact: Fish are not the cutest animals in the world.
In fact, you might say some of them are a liiitttle less fortunate in the looks department, am I right? You can’t cuddle with them, they can’t play fetch, and really … do they even have any feelings? The answer is yes, and even though they can’t cuddle or play like a dog or cat, when it comes to life and death, suffering and pain … should that really matter?
Check out the top five reasons why fishing hurts!
5) Eating fish is hazardous to your health. According to The New England Journal of Medicine, fish “are the main if not the only source of methyl mercury,” a substance that has been linked to cardiovascular disease, fetal brain damage, blindness, deafness, and problems with motor skills, language, and attention span.
4) Suffocation isn’t fun. When fish are yanked from the water, they begin to suffocate. Their gills often collapse, and their swim bladders can rupture because of the sudden change in pressure. Gross, eh?
3) Fishing kills more than fish. One out of every five manatee rescues conducted in the 1980s and 1990s was related to fishing-line entanglement, and during a four-year span, at least 35 dolphins died from injuries that they sustained as a result of being tangled in fishing line.
2) Fishing hurts the environment. Many commercial fishing vessels practice bottom-trawling in order to catch sea animals who live near, on, or under the sea floor, such as flounder, cod, grouper, shrimp, and scallops. Scientists say that the destruction caused by bottom-trawling is similar to that caused by clear-cutting old forests, only on a far greater scale.
1) Fishing really hurts. Fish slaughter plants in the U.S. make no effort to stun the fish, who are completely conscious when they start down the slaughter line. Their gills are cut, and they are left to bleed to death, convulsing in pain. Large fish, such as salmon, are sometimes bashed on the head with a wooden bat called a “priest,” and many are seriously injured but still alive and suffering when they are cut open.
The best reason of all? Because you know this isn’t OK.