What happens when you meld together progressive and experimental rock sounds that ignite incendiary visions of blasting into space? You get the newest addition to the Equal Vision Records family, ORBS. The band is an epic collaboration of a few bands you may have heard of, including Dan Briggs (Between The Buried and Me), Adam Fisher and Goose Holyoak (Fear Before), Chuck Johnson (Torch Runner), and Ashley Ellyllon (Abigail Williams/Cradle of Filth).
Check out our Q&A with ORBS guitarist Dan Briggs, and then enter our contest to win a copy of ORBS’ debut release, Asleep Next To Science.
1. How many members of the band are vegan and/or vegetarian, how long have you been veg, and what are some of your favorite veggie foods?
Our bassist, Chuck, and I are vegan, and Adam and Goose are vegetarian. I’ve been vegan for 11 years now, since I was 14. I love way too much food, avocados are one of my absolute favorites though-they’re high in B vitamins, omega-3s and packed with more protein than milk!
2. Of all of the major animal rights issues (animal testing, factory farming, animals used in entertainment, dog fighting, etc.) are there any issues that are particularly close to your heart?
When I was younger and first trying to understand all of the injustices that happen to animals I had the toughest time with animal testing. I remember going to meetings when I was in the 8th grade for the local animal rights coalition and seeing truly horrible videos that really fueled my rage.
3. Have there been any bands, artists, or books that have influenced your views on animal rights?
My interest in animal rights stemmed from growing up in the hardcore scene and reading zines and lyrics that promoted compassion for animals. Earth Crisis was one of the bands that got me really excited to get active and really further educate myself on animal rights issues and veganism in general.
4. Does anyone in the band have any animal companions? If so what are their names and were they adopted or rescues?
Adam has a pup named Coda that he adopted, and I’m pretty sure Ashley has a unicorn hanging out in her backyard.
5. What does ORBS have coming up that we can look forward to?
Our debut record Asleep Next To Science comes out on August 17th and then we embark on a full U.S. tour with Junius on August 19th.
Unicorns and puppies and compassion for animals, oh my! I’m really digging on these guys. If you could blast off into space and could only take 2 CDs, what would they be? Let us know in the comments below, and you may be one of 3 lucky winners to receive a copy of Asleep Next To Science. Comments must be received by August 17 and three winners will be chosen at random and notified on August 20.
Also by commenting, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions.