Win a Skate Deck from Pep Williams
Over the years peta2 has brought you interviews, contests, and PSAs from a number of different extreme sports athletes. Everyone from X Games gold medalist Paul Rodriguez to MTV prankster turned movie producer Rob Dyrdek to world renowned motocross star Carey Hart. Today I’m psyched to introduce Pep Williams. Pep is truly old school, holding it down as a Third Generation Dog Town skater. Check out our Q&A with Pep Williams, and enter to win a limited edition skate deck!
1. Tell us a little bit about where you’re from and what you do.
I was born and raised in Los Angeles, and I’m a professional skateboarder and photographer.
2. What made you want to get involved with PETA?
I went to the pound with my friend looking for a dog. She picked a cool lil dog and she was happy. I was talking to one of the staff and I asked what happens if they aren’t adopted. He said they are put to sleep. I felt sick to my stomach; couldn’t believe it. The cats and dogs were so healthy. So I decided to try and help in some way, so I reached out to PETA to learn more.
3. Of all of the major animal rights issues what issues are particularly close to your heart?
It all hits close to home, but you will never see me in fur. When I see people in them (fur coats) I just get a cringe in my stomach.
4. As someone who lives on the coast of California and is exposed to lots of marine life, what are your thoughts on the Canadian seal hunt and the fact that every year hundreds of thousands of seals are legally killed for their skins?
I see seals every day. I live by the beach and hear them every morning. I watch them fish. It’s a very calming thing to see. Dolphins show up sometimes as well. I think it sucks they are hunted legally. They are such peaceful and playful animals. Anything I can do to help them or any animal I’ll be first in line!
5. What advice would you give to young people who might just be getting into skateboarding?
The best advice I can give someone about getting into skateboarding is to just hop on and roll. Just enjoy the flow and cruise.
6. What advice can you give fans of yours who want to be more involved in animal rights?
If you have ever cared about a pet or any animal please find time to somehow find a way to help the ones that don’t have homes and are being killed by the thousands daily. Go to PETA and you will learn a lot. I did.
7. What are you working on and what projects do you have coming up that we can check out?
I’m working with my sponsors on putting out new products. I have a new Pro Model on Miramar Longboards that just came out and also a new line of skateboard wheels on Sublime Wheels. Also on the photography side of things, I’m working on a photography book and doing gallery shows. You can see my work on my website and MySpace.
For your chance to win the limited edition, custom designed, Pep Williams skate deck pictured above, leave a comment with why you first wanted to get involved with peta2! The person with the most convincing answer will be chosen and notified on November 25.
Also by commenting, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions.