• 6 Years later, still not a vegan

Profile photo of SkiVegChick

Over a year ago

So, I`ve vegetarian for almost 6 years now. and I`m still not Vegan D: It took me several years to get my parents to let me become vegetarian, however it may have been because I was so young (I finally became vegetarian when I was 9)
    Any advice on how to tell my parents I want to be vegan? I get anxious talking to people really easy, I couldnt even ask my cousin to pass the salt at a family dinner. So something this big…
    I’ve been trying to work up the courage to go vegan for over a year now :/
    Also, Im 15. I cant get a job, especially since all university students aren’t at school right now, so they have all the jobs. Meaning I cant buy my own food. My parents already make me buy my own clothes with the little money I have

Please log in to reply.

• Profile photo of dazydaisy

Over a year ago

I also recommend slowly phasing out animal ingredients one by one. Do lots of research to back up your beliefs (bookmark some websites for your parents to look at). Veganism doesn’t have to be expensive, just limit the processed food you buy. Vegan recipe blogs are also amazing. (www.ohsheglows.com, http://www.likeavegan.com.au, http://www.theveganstoner.blogspot.com are my favourites!) I also encourage showing that you can eat vegan alternatives of everyone’s favourite foods. All the best! :)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  • Profile photo of SkiVegChick

Over a year ago

With the lack of jobs and school, it is actually harder to get a job in the summer (up here) and veganistdestrox thats the thing…im not buying any clothes.
    But thanks for all the advice guys, it really bugs me, and i try to eat vegan as much as possible (I just ate a vegan meal for supper) Im gonna try and eat vegan at camp, because they have a great variety of vegan foods, so it shouldnt be to hard (I leave the day after tomorrow)

• Profile photo of teatowls

Over a year ago

You can do what I did, just slowly cut foods out of your diet so you could start with ones you don’t eat much of already like honey or butter maybe then move up to milk, eggs and the rest of the food. This is how I did it with my parents, now I don’t eat anything and they never complained about it either!
    As you buy your own clothes you can easily avoid buying animal product clothing

• Profile photo of Sagojyou

Over a year ago

Hey hey, those college students need jobs! We’re broke poor for going to college!
    Besides that, just do it! Tell you parents straight up “I’m going vegan” and you can help your family shop for the food that you can eat.
    Many vegans had to go through the same thing, and now it’s your turn! Good luck!

• Profile photo of veganistdestrox

Over a year ago

I suggest you do some street team work to get the peta vegan college cookbook, great easy recipes you can do yourself and you don’t need speciality vegan food for most of them (plus the book is free if you do enough activism :)

PLEASE READ:

All animal emergencies (injured, stray, neglected, abused, etc) should be reported to our Emergency Response Team, not posted on the Boards.

Chatting Today

casey now chatting boards

Recent Activities