You Me At Six's Vocalist Takes On SeaWorld
Blackfish, the real-life tale of a “killer” whale and the shocking events that led to tragedy,has been called “brilliant,” “gripping and devastating,” and “a mesmerizing psychological thriller” by news outlets across the globe. It’s the kind of film that leaves theatergoers talking for days, frantic to learn more.
I think we live in a society now where people should be told the truth …
Tilikum—the orca at the heart of Blackfish—has a story like dozens of other animals held in captivity. When he was only a baby, Tilikum was kidnapped and taken away from his family. He’s spent the last 20 years of his life imprisoned at SeaWorld.
Orcas in the wild:
- spend their entire lives in pods with their families.
- swim up to 100 miles every day.
- live an average of 30 to 50 years.
Orcas in captivity:
- are stolen from their families and isolated.
- spend years trapped in barren tanks that, to them, are the size of a bathtub.
- live an average of only nine years.
I hope people will look back at this sort of thing and think, ‘Why and how did we allow it to go on for this long?’
Pledge Never to Go to SeaWorld!
Fill out the form below and pledge never to support SeaWorld’s cruel confinement of orcas and other animals. Animals are not ours to use for entertainment!