True Life: I'm Dating a Meat-Eater

PETA naked activist demonstration "Go Green Go Vegan" St Paddys Day bodypainting

The vegan girlfriend (yours truly) spreading the word for animals on St. Paddy’s Day!

Looking for love is hard enough, but for animal rights activists and vegans, it can be just that much harder …

Does your future hand-holding candidate have to be vegan already? What if they’ve never been to a protest before? Will that scare them away?

As if meeting your main squeeze’s parents isn’t always super-awkward, how do you tell them that you don’t want their meatloaf (‘cuz sorry, Weezer, but we ain’t taking one for the team)?

So how do you do it? How does a vegan activist date a meat-eater?

Dig these tips that I’ve learned along the way, and true love (and maybe a new vegan!) could be in your near future:

1. Sing it, Aretha!

Like all good relationships, the base should be trust and R-E-S-P-E-C-T! Just because someone might not hold the same beliefs as you doesn’t mean it won’t work. We’re constantly learning about life from other people, and there’s no reason a nonvegan hottie can’t learn something from you.

Ignorance is no excuse for disrespect, though, so make sure the boy or girl you’re interested in is really interested in who you are inside and respects what’s important to you.

Note: This goes both ways! Remember: Most of us grew up eating animals, and just because that dream girl in geometry doesn’t know anything about factory farms doesn’t mean she’s a terrible person. Why not give her a chance?

Dreamy non-vegan boyfriend assures kitty he'd never wear fur!

Dreamy nonvegan boyfriend assures kitty he’d never wear fur!

2. Make It Work!

What drew you to this person to begin with? Do you love the same bands? Both like to check out the latest art exhibits? Share a passion for photography?

Finding common ground is a good way to help someone understand why you’re vegan and get the wheels turning in their brain about animal rights.

They probably have a cat or dog at home whom they love and wouldn’t want to see them skinned alive for fur.

Help them Make the Connection.

Show them what your fave bands are up to or get in some good snuggle time by vegging out on the couch and nerding out on documentaries.

3. Hey, I Heard You Were A Wild One

Dreamy non-vegan boyfriend is all smiles for this Vegan Benedict!

Dreamy non-vegan boyfriend is all smiles for this Vegan Benedict!

Get yourself someone with a sense of adventure who’s up for trying a bunch of delicious food that they may have never heard of before you came along and rocked their world. Relationships are all about bonding, and what better way to do that than to experience the tastiest part of veganism together?

Set a weekly date night where you take your new sweetie to your fave vegan restaurants or cook up a banging tofu scramble that convinces them once and for all that tofu is way better than gross chicken periods.

Sure, my dude might jokingly refer to veggie bacon as “those dog treat things,” but he’s the one ordering the vegan BLT at lunch now!

peta2 has tons of great recipes to help you wow your future soul mate, and you can even sign up to get free recipes delivered to your inbox every week.

Does it get any simpler than that? Plus, isn’t it the rule that if you cook, they do the dishes? 😉

These tips might not find you your one and only, but they should at least help you decide if dating a meat-eater is doable in your book.

People say you shouldn’t try to change someone you love, but that doesn’t mean sharing your life and the things that matter to you is off limits. And if the person you’re with really cares about you, the least that they can do is be open-minded and respect your beliefs.

True Life: I'm Dating A Meat Eater

Dreamy nonvegan boyfriend and me on a dinner date!

Heck, that smoking-hot carne asada–loving guy just might decide that he loves your cooking so much, he’s going to start going vegan whenever he’s with you (<–true story!).

Sign up to get free vegan recipes every week!

Here’s to love in your life (and in your heart for all animals)!

Please log in to comment.

Your email address will not be published.

Connect with Facebook

Your email address will not be published.

Connect with Facebook

• Profile photo of crizi

103 days ago

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]

I’ve been a vegan before but had to be less strict with it since I became pregnant because of the small amounts of vegan options where I am from, but my fiancé has been super supportive of me transitioning to being a vegan after the baby is born and even tries different vegan foods with me. He says he’ll never give up eating meat but will never try to make me eat it, we thought it was a great idea with a child because then she’ll know what both are like and can choose on her own and not worry about if we’ll except it.

• Profile photo of ironcarrot

310 days ago

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]

I had been vegetarian for years when I started dating my husband, and the only issues we ever encountered were some less than sensitive remarks from his family. He loved my vegetarian convictions. And when I decided to transition to veganism, he was my #1 supporter. He still eats meat pretty much every day, and we keep a few boundaries surrounding meat and our relationship. We’ve always had nothing but the utmost respect for each other’s choices.

• Profile photo of stega

450 days ago

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]

My bf is trying to convince me to not go vegan and gets mad when I dont eat meat at restraunts; and when I show him videos and state facts he just laughs. I have a feeling he is not a keeper.

• Profile photo of rikkaXrika

434 days ago

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]

oh sweetie, if he is trying to change you, the relationship is not going to work. in a relationship, you should never tried to change someone. and he is trying to change you. For example. i just became vegan and i asked my boyfriend just to help me. like i had to start slowly lik,e eat a bit meat. but less. then i just stop. and now its been a month now that im vegan free. my boyfriend is kinda helping. he doesnt eat meat that in the stores.. he actually make sure that the animal was grown on a farm. and not abuse(funny cause on his father side there actually farmer. so the only sorce of meat they eat a lot is orignal(dont know how to say that in english) ,porc and chicken. ) . if your man is not supporting you.. im sorry to say this sweetie but you have to lose him. not the act cause he not a vegan. the fact that he doesn’t want to support you. but dont worry, youll fin a great guy :3

• Profile photo of veggiemonster

701 days ago

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]

Vegetarianism is a lifestyle and if you do not share the same lifestyle eventually the relationship will fall apart! How do you respect someone who is killing animals because of their own selfishness? How do you respect someone who doesn’t respect animals as living things?

• Profile photo of jazzyandlove15

718 days ago

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]

my boyfriend is a “meat-eater” but I don’t care really. it’s his choice of what he wants his diet to be. He’s already promised me that he’ll become a vegetarian when we live together so I’m fine with that. I don’t see the big reason of it. I’m free to love a meat-eater and I’m proud of my ginger boyfriend. I’m unabashed and he’s my true love so in my eyes its fine dating a meat-eater.

• Profile photo of Akeona

774 days ago

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]

My boyfriend is a meat-eater. Thing is, we’ve been together for 3 years and I’ve only recently went back to being vegan. I was an herbivore for a year and a half when I was 13-14 years old, but at my age, it was really difficult while living in the middle of Nebraska. My family was extremely unsupportive and I didn’t (still don’t) know any other vegans or vegetarians in person. So I stopped. Once I moved out of my parents house into an apartment with my boyfriend this summer, I went back. He was really mad at first, almost in tears, saying, “how am I supposed to cook for a VEGAN?” but now, he eats a lot less meat. He is really into nutrition and actually willing to try all my vegan protein packed foods (he always puts ground flax seeds on his oatmeal!) and although he still eats eggs, he gets the cage-free ones at my request. We’re also eating healthier making more meals at home, and for cheaper!

• Profile photo of Gennyrox123

834 days ago

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]

I don’t find it all that unusual to have meat eaters in the house. Except for me, my whole family is not vegetarian, yet they buy me meat substitutes, special vitamins and other things to keep me going. I would just encourage him to eat free range meats and eggs. Also buy foods that are made in Australia or where you are from because I know AU has very little animal cruelty (the government have banned it I think).

• Profile photo of Vanessa24291

870 days ago

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]

This is sweet :) My boyfriend isn’t vegan or even vegetarian, but he supports me, so that alone makes me happy. He also offered to come over to my house and cook me a vegan meal, so he’s a keeper ^_^

• Profile photo of AngelaKitten

888 days ago

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]

I love this! for awhile I was struggling in a relationship with a meat eater. He surprised me this month by going vegetarian. He also has been telling people animals facts that I tell him. <3 Its awesome

• Profile photo of BrigitteCavanagh

896 days ago

• Profile photo of alexblue

924 days ago

Great tips!
    Also, make sure to give cruelty-free gifts!