Surprisingly Vegan Starbucks
Who doesn’t need Starbucks every once in a while (or every day, in our case)? Well, guess what! There are tons of vegan options there! The basic drinks are vegan: Get yourself a hot or an iced coffee with soy or coconut milk and any flavored sweetener syrup (like vanilla, caramel, or hazelnut), and you’re set! Hot or iced tea is always vegan as well. For more complicated drinks, simply apply these two rules:
First, remember to order soy or coconut milk. All stores carry it, and it can replace milk in any drink for a small, additional cost.
Second, avoid a few ingredients. If your order normally comes with any of these items, just ask nicely for them to leave it out:
- Whipped cream
- Java chips (inside the Java Chip Frappuccino and Double Chocolatey Chip Frappuccino)
- Protein powder (in the smoothies)
- Caramel drizzle (on the Caramel Macchiato and Caramel Frappuccino)
Unfortunately, a few drinks cannot be made vegan because of the dairy products in the syrup ingredients. Completely avoid these drinks:
- Anything with pumpkin spice
- Anything with white mocha
- Anything with caramel brûlée
- Any light Frappuccinos
YOU’RE SET! Wasn’t that easy? Generally clear syrups are vegan, the sauces however are usually not. Fun fact: Mocha sauce is vegan. 😉
NEW: Vegan S’mores Frappuccino Hack!
With all the buzz over Starbucks’ new limited-time addition, the S’mores Frappuccino, the peta2 staff was dying to try it! Unfortunately, the marshmallow-infused whipped cream, milk chocolate sauce, and graham crumbles are NOT vegan, but that didn’t stop us. Check out how we created our own vegan version of the drink (it’s delicious!):
- Order a tall coffee Frappuccino.
- Add two pumps of toasted marshmallow syrup.
- Add one pump of graham cracker syrup.
- Add one pump of mocha.
- Add more shots depending on desired sweetness level and drink size.
Check out some more of our favorite drinks from Starbucks:
Starbucks also offers a few vegan foods. Grab any of these, and you’re good to go:
- Fruit salad
- Dried fruit
- Roasted almonds
- Mixed nuts
- Dark-chocolate bar
- Sea salt potato chips
- Plain and multigrain bagel
- Raw granola bar
- Some Kind products (check for honey)
Need more vegan food? Sign up for free vegan recipes!