A Guide to Vegan Chinese Takeout
While not everyone is lucky enough to live near a big city that has a vegan joint on every corner, most of us can name at least one Chinese restaurant in our town. If you’re asking why this is a fact that fills every vegan’s heart with joy, let me tell you. One word, four letters: TOFU!
Every Chinese restaurant has this versatile vegan staple, which can replace meat in pretty much any dish—making any menu item a potentially vegan one. Sweet vegan angels, rejoice!
Even if you’re not a big fan of the soy stuff, fear not, because there are seriously TONS of other options for you to order up. Check ’em out below!
- Bubble Tea, aka “the Miracle of Boba” (Ask for a nondairy-based tea, juice, or slushee for it.)
- Vegetable Spring Rolls With Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Vegetable Steamed Dumplings
- Hot or Cold Sesame Noodles
- Salad With Ginger or Sesame Dressing
Main Entrées (Just ask for any meat to be replaced with tofu, and check for fish sauce.)
- Garlic Tofu
- General Tso’s Tofu
- Sweet and Sour Tofu
- Cashew Tofu
- Tofu and Broccoli
- Mapo Tofu (Specify no pork since traditionally this dish is cooked with it.)
- Mongolian Tofu
- Orange Tofu
- Kung Pao Tofu
Noodles and Rice
- Veggie Chow Mein
- Tofu Chow Mein
- Steamed Rice
- Vegetable Fried Rice (Specify no eggs.)
- Tofu Fried Rice (Specify no eggs.)
- Steamed Vegetables With a Side of Sesame Sauce
- Sautéed Green Beans
- Garlic Eggplant
As you can see, your typical Chinese restaurant is BRIMMING with vegan belly-stuffing potential. If you don’t have these options at a restaurant near you, politely request them. Small towns FTW!
Want even more delicious vegan food ideas?
Be sure to sign up below to get a FREE recipe sent straight to your inbox every week!