WTF Is Vegan Cheese?!
OK, so we’ve all heard it before: “I could never go vegan—I love cheese too much!” “It’s OK if I JUST eat cheese, right?!” Cheese seems to be the hardest food for the aspiring vegan to conquer—but never fear, peta2 is here!
First off, think about the fact that mother cows ONLY produce milk after being pregnant … it’s for their babies. On top of that, it is totally unnatural for humans to drink the mammary secretions of a different animal. And when you put it that way, doesn’t it just sound gross? Now the good news! You can easily replace cheese with new ingredients you’ve never tried before so that you won’t feel like you’re missing out on anything! Give onions a good try, peppers, avocados, and more—and believe it or not, there ARE flavors underneath that gooey mess. You just don’t realize it because cheese overpowers everything.
Luckily, nowadays there are lots of vegan cheese companies that are saving cows left and right with their delish products. Vegan cheese is made out of soy, nutritional yeast, or various vegetable proteins and tapioca starch. You can use it on nachos, pizzas, veggie burgers, tofu scramble, popcorn, and more!
Here’s a breakdown:
- Make nachos with Teese Nacho Cheese.
- Make grilled cheese sandwiches with Daiya cheddar shreds, Toffuti American slices, or GO Veggie! American slices.
- Make vegan turkey or ham melts with GO Veggie! Mexican shreds, Daiya mozzarella shreds, or Daiya cheddar shreds.
- Make lasagna with Daiya mozzarella shreds or GO Veggie! mozzarella shreds.
- Make ricotta with drained and crumbled tofu mixed with basil, oregano, and nutritional yeast.
- Make cheesy popcorn with Parma or nutritional yeast.
- Make tacos with Daiya cheddar shreds or GO Veggie! Mexican shreds.
- Make quesadillas with Daiya cheddar shreds or GO Veggie! Mexican shreds.
- Make pizza with Daiya mozzarella shreds, Follow Your Heart mozzarella, or GO Veggie! mozzarella shreds.
- Replace cream cheese with Tofutti cream cheese and GO Veggie! cream cheese.
- Make mac and cheese with nutritional yeast.
- Make chili cheese fries with Daiya cheddar shreds, GO Veggie! Mexican shreds, or Teese creamy cheddar sauce.