WTF Is Vegan Meat?!
When you first go vegan, a new world of food is opened up for you. A world of tofu, tempeh, seitan, nutritional yeast and … wait, WHAT THE EFF IS THAT?! All right, we’ll admit—we get a little lost in the terms we know so well, but you may not know at all. That’s why we’re introducing our brand new “WTF is ______?!” series! First up, vegan meat.
OK guys, don’t have an ethical breakdown here—it’s OK to eat vegan meat, and it doesn’t make you a hypocrite. Most of us grew up eating animals, rely on the comforting taste of foods we know, and aren’t able to turn all vegan-chef-extraordinaire overnight. Insert vegan meats like Tofurky, Field Roast, and Boca that are making it even easier for the most hardcore flesh eater to go vegan and stop killing animals
Vegan meat is usually made out of soy, contains no cholesterol, less fat than animal flesh, and is typically packed with protein. Vegan meat is spiced with the same flavorings of meat, but doesn’t come from an animal who suffered and died to end up on a plate. Most meat eaters don’t realize that meat is really all about the spices, and the texture—which vegan meat companies Field Roast, Tofurky, and Gardein have down to a science.
Here’s a breakdown:
- Replace chicken with Gardein (they have nuggets, filets, and more)
- Replace burgers with veggie burgers (Boca is popular, but there are lots of other brands, too!)
- Replace ground beef with Boca Crumbles
- Replace pizza toppings with Field Roast or Tofurky sausages, or Gardein chicken
- Replace hot dogs with Smartlife veggie dogs
- Replace bacon with Smartlife bacon strips (or tempeh, but we’ll get to that later!)
- Replace ribs with Morningstar riblets
- Replace turkey with Tofurky
- Replace beef with Gardein beefless tips
Got it? Good! In this series we’ll discuss vegan cheese, nutritional yeast, vegan ice cream, and more!
What’s your favorite vegan meat? Comment and tell us below!