Have you ever wondered what’s wrong with wearing wool (besides the fact that it’s as itchy as hell)? Well, wonder no more. Here’s everything that you need to know about where wool comes from and how it’s made with 100 percent cruelty.
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IMAGES ARE GRAPHIC (NSFW) AND WILL MAKE YOU REFUSE TO WEAR WOOL EVER AGAIN.
1. About 25 percent of the world’s wool comes from Australia.
2. Young lambs’ ears are hole-punched, their tails are chopped off, and the males are castrated—all usually without anesthetics or pain relief.
3. It is considered “normal” in the Australian wool industry for approximately 3 million young lambs to die every spring.
4. Lambs sometimes die because of poor nutrition.
5. This wound is the result of a process called “mulesing,” and it’s standard practice in the industry.
6. During “mulesing,” workers cut huge chunks of skin and flesh from the backs of lambs’ legs and around their tails.
7. In the industry’s rush to produce more wool, many sheep die from exposure after premature shearing.
8. An unnatural overload of wool also causes animals to die of heat exhaustion during hot months.
9. During shearing, sheep can sustain anything from nicks to complete amputations of their udders, ears, penises, and other body parts.
10. Eyewitness: “I have seen shearers punch sheep with their shears or their fists until the sheep’s nose bled. I have seen sheep with half their faces shorn off.”
11. Sheep are crammed into crowded pens, and some may die because of injuries or stress.
12. When sheep age and their wool production declines, they are sent to slaughter.
13. Millions of live sheep are shipped from Australia to the Middle East and North Africa every year.
14. A 2005 report stated that about 38,000 sheep died in transit. In most cases, their carcasses were thrown overboard.
15. In New Zealand, methane emissions from enteric fermentation, coming mostly from sheep, make up more than 90 percent of the nation’s greenhouse-gas emissions.
Convinced yet? We hope so. Want to know how you can help? Listen up: Please NEVER support an industry that treats sheep as disposable objects and not as the smart, sensitive, dignified animals they are.
This truly does make me sad and upsets me so much. I cannot believe some of the things that are done today after everything we know now. These animals deserve to be treated properly. They deserve to be here on this earth just as much if not more than we do. I hope that everyone who participates in this cruelty suffers themselves. It truly makes me ill, as do the people involved in this barbaric act. Disgusting! Absolutely Disgusting!
People just don’t get it…they think the sheep stands their obediently, gets shaved, then romps off to play in the fields. If they saw this they might understand so the more people see and share this the better!
This is terrible! Why does it happen? When the cruelty to animals will stop? Please, go Vegan, don’t wear fur or any other animal skin, buy product that are not tested on animals. In this way each of us can help.