A veggie burger, duh!
Listening to New York–based trio MisterWives is like diving into a vegan ice cream sundae. The sounds are sugary sweet on top, but underneath are rich layers, dense with undertones of folk and soul to keep your musical taste buds satisfied long after you’ve licked the bowl clean.
We recently joined vocalist Mandy Lee, drummer Etienne Bowler, and bassist William Hehir in their Bronx, New York, apartment for a night of vegan cooking. Get the full recipe for Mandy’s dee-lish vegan chicken scallopini in a white wine lemon caper sauce!
When it comes to eating animals, it took the best-selling book Skinny Bitch to open Mandy’s eyes to the true cost of consuming meat and dairy products. She tells peta2, “I never put two and two together, you know? And the minute I found out that information … I was like, ‘OK, I’m vegan.’ … [I]t’s been six years—and I never went back, and it’s been incredible.”
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg replacer and water to create your egg substitute. Add the nondairy milk and mix well.
2. On two separate plates, pour out a small amount of the flour and a small amount of the breadcrumbs. One by one, dip each tofu cutlet in the nondairy milk mixture, then roll in the flour, making sure to coat both sides. Dip each cutlet once more in the nondairy milk mixture, then roll in the breadcrumbs, making sure to coat both sides. This process will give the cutlets a thick, even coating.
3. Heat 2 tablespoonfuls of the vegetable oil in a pan on medium heat. Add the garlic, onions, mushrooms, shallots, and capers and sauté until softened, about 5 to 10 minutes.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the vegetable broth and 2 tablespoonfuls of the flour and whisk together until well blended, then add to the pan of vegetables. Add the vegan margarine, lemon juice, and optional white wine and stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper, then cover the pan with a lid and let simmer on low heat.
5. Heat the remaining olive oil over high heat in a frying pan. Once the oil is hot, add the cutlets one by one and cook each side until crisp and golden brown (about 30 seconds).
6. Once each cutlet is prepared, remove the sauce from the heat. Serve the sauce over the cutlets, and bon appétit!