Make a Vegan Gingerbread House!
Deck the halls with vegan candy, fa la la la la, la la la la.
Here at peta2, we <3 candy. If we could live in a vegan candy cottage (or a mansion!), we totes would. So this holiday season, give your house or room a little bit of vegan holiday cheer with an awesome vegan candy gingerbread house. Check out our recipes for vegan gingerbread and icing, and get decorating!
How to Make Your House!
1. Make your gingerbread using our vegan gingerbread recipe.
2. Make your icing using our vegan icing recipe.
- Cover a cookie sheet with tin foil. This is going to be your base.
- Take a sandwich bag and cut off one of the bottom corners so that there is a hole smaller than a pencil eraser. Fill the bag with some of the icing. When you are ready to decorate, you can squeeze the bag so that the icing comes out of the hole. This is a great way to control where the icing goes.
- Take a wall piece and place a thick line of icing along the bottom edge. Place on the baking sheet and hold until the icing hardens and the wall can stand up by itself.
- Take another wall piece and place a thick line of icing along the bottom edge as well on one of its sides so that it will stick to the other wall. Place on the baking sheet and hold until the icing hardens.
- Continue building like this until your roof is securely in place. It will take a while for each piece to set, but it’s worth the wait! Nothing is worse than having your gingerbread house collapse.
- Once the house is built, add more icing in all the corners and other places where your pieces come together. This will make your house sturdier and make it look nicer on the outside because all the holes and joints will be covered.
- Let all the icing harden completely.
The only rule about decorating is that there are no rules! Get your icing and candy out and place the candy wherever you want. If you don’t like the way one of your decorations turns out, just pull the candy off, eat it, and try again.
- Vegan candy canes
- Swedish fish
- DOTS gum drops
- Dried coconut
- Blue and green sprinkles
- Red licorice
- Your fave vegan candies!
Here are suggestions for how to decorate your house like ours:
- Make a line of icing where the roof and side walls attach to the front wall and stick on red licorice as an outline.
- Use DOTS to make a walking path from the front door out into the yard.
- Use candy canes as columns to help support the porch roof.
- Create a “river” of icing alongside the house and cover with blue sprinkles to mimic water. Add a dollop of icing to the tails of the Swedish fish and place on the river so that the fish appear to be jumping out of the water.
- Spread a layer of icing over the surface of a tree cutout, then cover with green sprinkles. Add icing along the bottom edge and place next to the house.
- Add icing to the bottom edge of a bear cutout—or any other animal cutout that you decide to make—and place next to the tree. Add some candy eyes or a candy nose.
- Make a wreath for the front of the house using icing and green sprinkles.
- Cover the top of the house and the yard with dried coconut to mimic snow.