WTF Is Vegan Ice Cream!?
All right, y’all, warmer weather is in the air, and everyone’s got the outdoors on their minds … barbecues, picnics, grilled tofu (mmmmmm!), iced tea, and ICE CREAM, of course. Sadly, too few people know about the world of vegan ice cream, so we’re here to fill ya in.
Vegan ice cream is just that—ice cream made from soy milk, coconut milk, almond milk, rice milk … you get it! It contains no dairy products, and no cows were harmed as it was made! Almond milk ice creams along with coconut milk ice creams have exploded in local supermarkets around the country, and now vegans who are allergic to soy have tons of options to stay cruelty- (and allergen-) free.
Some Brands to Look For
- Purely Decadent: This line includes flavors such as cookie dough, mocha almond fudge, peanut butter zig zag, mint chip, turtle trails, and more—many available in both soy and coconut milk varieties. Turtle trails in coconut milk will change your life!
- So Delicious: This one offers up pomegranate chip, mint marble fudge, Neapolitan, cookies and cream, German chocolate, and more—again having many in both coconut milk and soy varieties. So Delicious also offers coconut almond ice cream bars and banana split ice cream sandwiches. Yuuuum!
- Tofutti: Tofutti makes delish vegan sour cream and vegan cheese and offers vegan ice cream, too! Check out its Tofutti Cuties line of ice-cream sandwiches (available in key lime, peanut butter, wild berry, mint chocolate chip, and chocolate!). In addition, Tofutti offers ice-cream pints in flavors such as vanilla almond bark, “better” pecan, chocolate cookie crunch, and more!
- Almond Dream, Rice Dream, and Soy Dream: Have a weakness for almond milk? Then this is your brand for sure. Its dairy-free ice creams come in flavors such as cappuccino swirl, praline crunch, cookies and dream, orange vanilla swirl, strawberry, and more!
- Coconut Bliss: A newer brand, its flavors are pure <3. Try mocha maca crunch, ginger cookie caramel, chocolate walnut brownie, or pineapple coconut. OMG!
You can snag most of these brands at your local Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, or health-food store. And next time you’re at Trader Joe’s, check out its soy cherry chocolate chip ice cream in the frozen section.
If you’re a lucky duck and live in NYC, head over to Lula’s Apothecary ASAP—seriously. It doesn’t matter how cold it is! It’s got soy, cashew, and coconut ice creams, and you can top them with coconut-based whipped cream. Heaven on earth, for real. They’re all vegan, too!
What’s your fave vegan ice cream?