Mouthwatering Vegan Passover Eats
Going vegan doesn’t have to mean giving up tradition. We made these customary Passover recipes vegan-style, and they turned out delicious!
Matzo ball soup is hearty classic and an awesome combination of textures and flavors. A lot of box mixes are vegan, which makes this a quick and easy recipe.
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Egg replacer equivalent to 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup matzo meal (lots of brands are vegan!)
- 1 tsp. salt (optional)
- 4 cups + 2 Tbsp. vegetable broth
- 6 cups water
- In a bowl, mix together the vegetable oil, egg replacer, matzo meal, and salt.
- Add the 2 tablespoonfuls of vegetable broth and mix until uniform.
- Cover and place in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Boil 6 cups of water. In a separate pot, start warming up the remaining vegetable broth.
- Remove the matzo mixture from the fridge and shape into balls about 1 inch in diameter.
- Reduce the heat of the boiling water.
- Drop the matzo balls into the water and let simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from the water and place in the vegetable broth. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 2–3 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into small pieces.
- 1/2 cup grape juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- In a saucepan, heat up the walnuts until they’re lightly browned.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients (including the walnuts) and blend until a spreadable consistency is achieved.
Makes 4 servings
These make for a yummy, healthy snack year-round!
Adapted from Zahava Koren’s Vegetarian Fatfree Passover Recipes at http://euler.ecs.umass.edu/pass-veg/#Zucchini
- 2 zucchinis, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp. tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. parsley
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. matzo meal
- Scoop out the pulp of the zucchini halves. Heat the pulp, onion, tomato sauce, parsley, and garlic in a pan for 5 minutes.
- Add the matzo meal to the mixture and mix well.
- Restuff the zucchini with the mixture and place in a baking dish with a little water on the bottom.
- Bake at 450ºF until the zucchini shells are soft, about 30 minutes.
Makes 2 servings
There’s plenty more where these came from. Sign up to receive FREE vegan recipes once a week!