Mouthwatering Vegan Passover Eats
Going vegan doesn’t have to mean giving up tradition. We made these customary Passover recipes vegan-style, and they turned out delicious!
Matzo ball soup is hearty classic and an awesome combination of textures and flavors. A lot of box mixes are vegan, which makes this a quick and easy recipe.
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Egg replacer equivalent to 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup matzo meal (lots of brands are vegan!)
- 1 tsp. salt (optional)
- 4 cups + 2 Tbsp. vegetable broth
- 6 cups water
- In a bowl, mix together the vegetable oil, egg replacer, matzo meal, and salt.
- Add the 2 tablespoonfuls of vegetable broth and mix until uniform.
- Cover and place in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Boil 6 cups of water. In a separate pot, start warming up the remaining vegetable broth.
- Remove the matzo mixture from the fridge and shape into balls about 1 inch in diameter.
- Reduce the heat of the boiling water.
- Drop the matzo balls into the water and let simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from the water and place in the vegetable broth. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 2–3 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into small pieces.
- 1/2 cup grape juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- In a saucepan, heat up the walnuts until they’re lightly browned.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients (including the walnuts) and blend until a spreadable consistency is achieved.
Makes 4 servings
These make for a yummy, healthy snack year-round!
Adapted from Zahava Koren’s Vegetarian Fatfree Passover Recipes at http://euler.ecs.umass.edu/pass-veg/#Zucchini
- 2 zucchinis, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp. tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. parsley
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. matzo meal
- Scoop out the pulp of the zucchini halves. Heat the pulp, onion, tomato sauce, parsley, and garlic in a pan for 5 minutes.
- Add the matzo meal to the mixture and mix well.
- Restuff the zucchini with the mixture and place in a baking dish with a little water on the bottom.
- Bake at 450ºF until the zucchini shells are soft, about 30 minutes.
Makes 2 servings
Want to honor Passover symbolism, but don’t want to use an egg? Try an EggNot instead!
There’s plenty more where these came from. Sign up to receive FREE vegan recipes once a week!
Thanks for ordering a “Meat’s Not Green” leafleting pack! It should arrive in...