Valentine’s Day is here, and I’ve been preparing by eating massive amounts of vegan candy for weeks. I’ve spent plenty of V-Days with past boyfriends, and they’ve been great and all, but this year, I’m reserving the day for my one true love: my dog.
Before you get all “Blah, blah, this chick is totally lonely and desperate,” let me fill you in on 10 reasons why dogs are much better valentines than any of your significant others.
1. When I order a vegan pizza for dinner, I don’t have to split it with my dog. This should be reason enough, but I’ll continue.
2. My dog would never complain if I put on The Bachelor … not that I would ever watch that.
3. He’s totally chill with me being the big OR little spoon—he has no preference as long as I’m constantly touching him.
4. He doesn’t call me needy when I want to be in the same room as he is at all times. In fact, he even follows me into the bathroom.
5. He never squirms away when I try to warm my feet under him.
6. When we’re watching a movie, I can drool as much as I want when Liam Hemsworth enters the scene, without feeling guilty.
7. I don’t have to pretend that I enjoy participating in all of his favorite hobbies.
8. He thinks I’m the best chef on the face of the planet. Seriously, he’s interested in literally every meal that I heat up cook.
9. I love every single one of his friends, and he doesn’t mind when I tell them they’re cute.
10. I don’t feel compelled to ask him not to leave me multiple times a day, because I know he never will.
Show some love for dogs!
More than six million lost, abandoned, unwanted, or otherwise homeless animals enter animal shelters across the U.S. every year. Dogs are always there to make us feel special, regardless of whether or not it’s Valentine’s Day. Return the favor by choosing to adopt them from shelters and always having them spayed or neutered.