When I think about the essentials of the perfect summer cookout, a few things cross my mind, including good friends, good times, and great food. And let’s get real, folks: We all know that the food makes the party. To me, nothing says “I’m grillin’ out” like a good old-fashioned sausage on a bun (aka “hot dog,” y’all). I’m not talking about the revolting mechanically separated meat hot dogs that zombies are eating these days (blech). I’m talking about the scrumptious, cruelty-free ones that all the cool kids are eating. Want to be the cool kid at your cookout this summer? Seriously, whip up one of these fantastically delectable dogs for each of your friends, and you’ll have them begging for seconds in no time!
Animal flesh with Tofurky sausages (I went with Italian sausage, but they have kielbasa, franks, and bratwurst!)
1 hot-dog bun
1 tomato or ketchup
1 green pepper
Pickle (to garnish, optional)
- You have a few options for cooking your hot dog. You can grill it, boil it, microwave it, or stick it in the oven on “Broil” for about 10 minutes on each side at 350°F.
- Once you’ve got your hot dog ready to go, grab your bun and toast it a bit to get that legit ballpark feel.
- Next, you’re going to want to grab your tomato, onion, and green pepper—and whichever other veggies strike your fancy—and dice ’em up.
- Grab the condiments of your choosing (I chose tomatoes to replace ketchup to keep things fresh and healthier) and load everything on.
- Garnish with a pickle or two, and voilà!
Your friends are now all impressed with your grilling skills, and you’ve just saved them from joining the dark side—the zombie side.