Breakfast and brunch are my absolute favorite meals. I love waking up on the weekends and planning what I’m going to have for breakfast or brunch. Usually I’ll go with some biscuits and gravy or a breakfast burrito—or even a tofu scramble—but I wanted to make this blog post a bit more special. Something that always hits the spot for me is some Freakin’ French Toast, but it’s one of those meals that sounds like it’ll take a lot of time. I have a recipe for you this week that doesn’t take much time, though, and will put a smile on your face! Let’s cook!
Freakin’ French Toast
2 or 3 slices bread
1 cup nondairy milk
3 Tbsp. flour
3 tsp. sugar (optional)
Nonstick cooking spray
Your favorite fruit
Dash syrup (optional)
- Slice your bread if it’s not already sliced. I bought flaxseed ciabatta bread from a local grocery store and sliced it up—it tasted awesome!
- In a small mixing bowl, mix your favorite nondairy milk with the flour and sugar. I used almond milk and skipped the sugar—you know, to make this seem a bit healthier.
- Spray a tiny amount of nonstick cooking spray on a small frying pan and place it on medium heat.
- Dip a slice of bread into the wet mixture and place it in the frying pan. Be sure to cover it!
- Cook each side of the bread until brown, which will take a couple of minutes.
- Place the finished slices on a plate, add some of your favorite fruit, drizzle a dash of syrup on top (optional), and dig in!
Makes 1 to 2 servings
Now, if you’re not one for frying, you can always bake this dish instead. Just preheat your oven to 350°F and bake the French toast for about 10 to 15 minutes (or until brown). What’s fun about this recipe is that you can add whatever you want to make your favorite French toast recipe. If you give this a shot and have a wild recommendation, let us know so that we can get down on more French toast!