Once upon a time, being vegan was pretty much a foreign concept. When I first changed my lifestyle, the idea of eating delicious dairy-free cheese was about as real as my dreams about driving a flying car to work, like in Harry Potter.
Little did I know that just a few short years later, not only would we have an endless selection of delicious and melty vegan cheeses but the rest of the world would be on board, too. Here’s some legit proof for ya:
1. Google searches for “vegan” climbed 32 percent from 2014 to 2015. Can’t wait to see what this year brings!
2. Because of high demand from customers, everyone’s favorite ice cream duo, Ben & Jerry’s, came out with FOUR yummy vegan flavors this year.
3. Magazines everywhere are giving people the scoop on the benefits of a vegan diet. Teen Vogue even featured a story about a vegan runner on its cover.
4. Subway has been testing vegan patties at select locations. The Malibu Garden patty topped with the Fiery Red Tomato sauce makes for one delectable sandwich.
The local @Subway is testing out a new #vegan sub: the Malibu Garden. The patty is made with brown rice, rolled oats, and veggies, and comes topped with a creamy vegan “fire roasted tomato sauce.” #Subway #VeganSubway #vegansofig #whatveganseat #echopark #LA #LosAngeles #veganfoodshare #MalibuGarden #VeganLunch #MeatlessMonday #Yum #MeatlessEveryday
5. Following an appeal from PETA at Tesla’s 2015 annual meeting, the company launched Model X, its highly anticipated SUV, which is available with a fully vegan interior—including the seats, steering wheel, and gear shift.
6. Cosmetic companies like e.l.f. have ditched using fur in their makeup brushes—so it’s easier than ever to have a cruelty-free face.
7. You can now find egg-free mayo at the dollar store, 7-Eleven, Target, and more, thanks to Hampton Creek Foods.
8. Wendy’s recently announced that after a petition to add a vegan option circulated the Internet, it’s testing a black bean burger in select cities. Hopefully, it’ll come out with a dairy-free Frosty, too! (Hint, hint.)
9. Miley Cyrus has basically FLOODED her Insta-feed with animal rights awareness. Girl, YOU GO.
10. Pizza joints are adding vegan cheeses to their menus faster than you can say soy milk!
11. You can even pick up some meatless (and 100-percent vegan) meat balls at IKEA when you go shopping for your apartment.
Ikea vegan meatballs are now available, so we had meatballs and pasta, cheese, steamed veggies and sprouted chickpeas. #vegan #vegansofig #veganfood #veganfoodshare #veggie #govegan #whatveganseat #crueltyfree #veganeats #veganfoodporn #vegetarian #food #foodie #foodporn #homemade #dinner #pasta #ikea
12. There’s a burger that BLEEDS beet juice. Most vegan thing ever.