Chef Chloe’s Minty Chocolaty Cookies
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup vegan margarine
- 3 Tbsp. nondairy milk (almond, rice, or soy)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. pure peppermint extract
- 2 cups dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 Tbsp. vegan margarine
- 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
- In a food processor, pulse flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda until combined.
- Add margarine, milk, vanilla, and mint extract. Pulse a few times until mixture comes together. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and knead with your hands in the bowl for one minute. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silpats. Remove dough from refrigerator. Roll a heaping teaspoon of cookie dough into a ball and place onto prepared baking sheets, leaving about 3 inches in between each ball. Evenly flatten the dough with your fingertips so that it is about 1/4 inch thick and bake for 12-14 minutes. Let cool completely.
Chocolate Coating (Double this recipe for chocolate coating if you are baking all of the dough.)
- Melt chocolate chips and margarine over a double boiler or in the microwave. Stir in the mint extract and mix until smooth.
- Dip completely cooled cookies into the chocolate and remove with a fork, gently scrapping off excess chocolate using the side of the bowl. Or, spread a thin layer of the chocolate on top of the cookies.
- Place cookies on a parchment-lined plate or tray and refrigerate until chocolate coating sets. Store in the refrigerator.