Classic ‘Chicken’ Penne With Marinara
- 1 bag penne or penne rigate (try Trader Joe's brand for $0.99!)
- 26 oz. marinara sauce
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 oz. white or crimini mushrooms
- 8 oz. vegan chicken (try Trader Joe's Chicken-Less Strips)
- 3 oz. baby spinach
- Spices, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. (Make sure it’s big enough for the whole bag of pasta!) Add the penne and cook for 12 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the marinara sauce in a smaller pot and let simmer.
- Heat the olive oil on medium-low heat in a large pan. Add the mushrooms and vegan chicken and sauté. About four minutes before the pasta is done cooking, add the baby spinach to the vegan chicken and mushrooms and stir. When the spinach just starts to wilt, turn off the heat.
- Once the pasta is done, drain the water out and add the marinara sauce, stirring well.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta and the vegan chicken mixture. Add spices, to taste, and mix until well combined.
If you’re anything like us, you’re quite the busy bee. You have things to do and not a whole lot of time to cook something fancy, but you’re really craving something hearty that will fill you up. With this quick and easy “chicken” penne with marinara recipe, you can make a totally delicious, home-cooked, Italian-inspired meal that will feed you and that friend you’re studying with tomorrow night. Hard to beat that, right?