Easy Lentil Stuffed Cabbage
- 6 cups water
- 8 cabbage leaves
- 1 24-oz. jar tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 12-oz. can brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup rice or other grain of choice, cooked
- Salt and pepper, to taste
• In a large pot, bring the water to a boil. Add the cabbage leaves and cook for about 2 minutes each, or until soft. Set aside.
• Discard the water, then pour in the tomato sauce and simmer over low heat.
• Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion until it turns translucent.
• Add the lentils and cook for 1 minute.
• Add the cooked rice or other grain, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5 more minutes, then remove from the heat and set aside.
• Spread out the cabbage leaves and place a large spoonful of the lentil mixture in the center of each, close to the stem. Roll the cabbage leaf up over the filling, burrito-style.
• Place all the rolls seam side down in the pot with the tomato sauce and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Pro tip: You can swap out the lentils with beefless crumbles or Soyrizo for a spicier dish. 😉