Mac and Chili
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- Pinch salt and pepper + more, to taste
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 1 15-oz. cans roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 box vegan macaroni and cheese (we used Daiya Deluxe Cheddar Style Cheezy Mac)
• Heat the oil in a medium-sized pan. Add the garlic, peppers, onion, salt, and pepper. Sauté until soft.
• Add the beans, tomato paste, roasted tomatoes, water, liquid smoke, and spices to a large pot or slow cooker.
• If cooking on a stove top, let simmer for 45 minutes over medium-low heat. If using a slow cooker, cook for 2 to 3 hours on the highest setting.
• Stir frequently if using the stove top. Adjust the seasonings, to taste.
• Prepare the vegan macaroni and cheese according to the instructions on the box. Combine with the chili, and boom—mac and chili!
Tip: Add soy chorizo, vegan sausage, or beefless crumbles to make this dish even “meatier”!