- 1 tsp. canola or sesame oil
- 1 pkg. extra-firm tofu, drained and sliced into long rectangles
- 1 cup vegan stir-fry sauce (I used sesame garlic)
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 tsp. wasabi paste (or more, to taste)
- 1 cup cooked sushi rice or white rice
- 4-6 slices pickled ginger
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup prepared seaweed salad (optional)
- Sesame seeds, to garnish (optional)
• Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the tofu and fry on both sides over medium heat until lightly browned.
• Pour the stir-fry sauce over the tofu, making sure that each piece is well coated. Let simmer until coating becomes thick, about 10 minutes. Add the optional red pepper flakes, if desired.
• In a small bowl, mix together the avocado and wasabi paste.
• In another bowl, add the cooked rice and tofu. Top with the avocado-wasabi mixture, pickled ginger, green onion.
• Add the optional seaweed salad and sesame seeds, if desired.
Note: Most of these ingredients can be found at your local grocery store—check the Natural Foods or International Foods sections. Seaweed salad is available at most sushi places and Asian grocers.