Spicy Vegan Pho
- 8 oz. uncooked rice noodles
- 6 cups vegan vegetable stock
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 3 Tbsp. miso paste
- Chili sauce or powder, to taste
- 8 oz. firm tofu, drained and thinly sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 3 scallions, sliced
- Cilantro and basil, to taste
- Bring a medium-sized pot of water to boil, then add the rice noodles. Immediately remove from the heat and let sit for 30 minutes to soften.
- In another pot, bring the vegetable stock to a boil. Add the onion and soy sauce and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice, miso paste, chili sauce or powder, and tofu.
- Drain the noodles and add to the vegetable stock. Stir until well combined, then pour into serving bowls.
- Top with the bean sprouts and scallions and sprinkle with cilantro and basil, if desired. Serve while hot!
What is pho, you ask? Pho–pronounced “fah”–is a delish Vietnamese soup. If you have 30 minutes to spare, then you’re in business. Don’t worry, though: Most of those 30 minutes will be spent waiting for the soup to cook so you can get the full experience of flavors, including the spicy addition of whatever chili sauce or powder suits your fancy. With just a few simple ingredients, this light soup is ideal for any time of day and any time of year.