Tofu Scramble–Stuffed Peppers
- 4 large or 6 small poblano peppers
- 1 15-oz. block firm or extra-firm organic tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 1 handful grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and cracked pepper, to taste
- Salsa, to taste (we like tomatillo best for this recipe, but use your imagination!)
- Avocado slices, for garnish
1. Place the poblano peppers on a cookie sheet and roast in pre-heated oven at 450ºF for approximately 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove and allow to cool in a dish covered with saran wrap.
2. Remove any loose skin from the peppers. Carefully slice each one, making a slit down the center of one side without cutting into the other side. Remove the seeds—you can leave a few for heat, if you’d like.* Cover tightly until ready to stuff.
3. Drain and press the tofu.
4. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Sauté the onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, tomatoes, and garlic powder for approximately 5 minutes. Add the tofu while crumbling with your fingers. Add the nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper and mix well. (Be sure to taste and add more garlic powder, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper, as desired.) Gently toss and cook another 3 to 4 minutes, or until the tofu is fully heated and looks nice and yellow.
5. Scoop the tofu mixture into the peppers, dividing equally.
6. Drizzle with salsa and serve with avocado slices.
*Whatever you do, DO NOT touch the seeds and then touch your eyes or skin. They’re seriously hot. You WILL regret it—trust me.