Vegan Tofu-Bacon English Muffin
- 1/4 block extra-firm tofu, drained
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes
- Pinch salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 strips tempeh bacon (try Turtle Island Foods' Smoky Maple Bacon Marinated Tempeh)
- 1 vegan whole-wheat English muffin, cut in half and toasted (Many are accidentally vegan—just check the label!)
- 3 slices tomato (optional)
- 2 slices avocado (optional)
- 1 handful spinach (optional)
- Using a drinking glass that has approximately the same diameter as the English muffin, cut a circle in the block of tofu. Separate the tofu round, then slice lengthwise in half to create two equal circular pieces. Store one of the pieces in an airtight container with a little water and place in the fridge for when you’re ready to make another sandwich.
- Combine the nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Place the remaining tofu piece in the bowl and press against the nutritional yeast mixture until completely covered.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the tofu until crisp, about 3 minutes on each side. Add the tempeh bacon and cook until crisp, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Place the tofu on one half of the English muffin and top with the avocado, tomato slices, tempeh bacon, and spinach. Cover with the other half of the English muffin and enjoy!
To be 100 percent honest, sometimes the only thing that can get us out of bed in the morning is the promise of a yummy breakfast. And this Vegan Tofu-Bacon English Muffin never disappoints! You get the same taste as drive-through versions, but this alternative is way better for you. Oh, and it takes no time to make. It’ll be done before you can say, “Do you want fries with that?” Well, maybe not THAT fast … but faster than making a fast-food run. Give it a try.