‘Animal Style’ Baked Fries
- 2 large russet potatoes, rinsed and peeled
- Cooking spray
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 medium-sized onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream (try Tofutti brand)
- 1/2 tsp. chili lime seasoning (try Tajin brand, which I found in the fruit aisle at Safeway!)
- 1/4 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese (try Daiya brand)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Cut the potatoes into the shape of French fries, trying to keep them as uniform as possible so that they cook evenly. Place in a microwave-safe dish, cover with water, and cook for 8 minutes in the microwave.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Remove the potatoes from the microwave, drain, and pat dry with a paper towel. Spread evenly on the baking sheet, then spray the tops with more cooking spray. Sprinkle with the garlic powder and 1 teaspoonful of the salt. Bake until brown and crispy, approximately 35 to 45 minutes.
- Spray a sauté pan with cooking spray. Add the onions and sprinkle with the sugar and remaining salt. Cook on low heat until the onions are caramelized and tender, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the sour cream and chile lime seasoning until well combined.
- While the fries are still hot out of the oven, sprinkle with the vegan cheese and top with the caramelized onions and sour cream mixture. Enjoy!
Being a West Coast girl, I knew we couldn’t have a “fast-food faves”–themed month here at peta2 without creating this In-N-Out inspired staple: “animal-style” baked fries! Prepare this cholesterol-free recipe to let your friends and family know that going vegan is ANYTHING but a sacrifice. 😀 PS- Click here to see the Tajin brand seasoning that I used.