Zesty, Crispy Potato Tacos
- 2–3 cups mashed potatoes (use leftovers or accidentally vegan instant spuds)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 7-oz. can diced green chilies
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder, plus more for dusting the tortillas
- 1 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning*
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. green hot sauce of your choice
- 6 soft corn tortillas
- 2 Tbsp. oil, plus more for frying
- Lettuce, tomato, vegan cheese, or any other desired toppings
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion, Cajun seasoning, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Sauté until the onions are soft, then stir in the green chilies and sauté for 2 more minutes.
2. Heat the leftover mashed potatoes in the microwave, then add the onion mixture. Stir in the green hot sauce. Taste, then adjust the seasonings as needed.
**3. Fill the same skillet that was used to sauté the onions with 1/2 inch of oil and heat over medium-high heat. Using tongs, carefully add one tortilla to the oil and fold in half. (Keep the two sides from touching.) When the half that is submersed in the oil turns golden brown, turn over and fry the other half. Place on a paper towel–lined plate and sprinkle with chili powder. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
4. Fill the cooled tortilla shells with the potato mixture and top with lettuce, tomato, vegan cheese, more hot sauce, or anything else you fancy!
*Don’t have Cajun seasoning? DIY your own with help from peta2 pal The Vegan Zombie!
**Feel free to use store-bought vegan hard taco shells instead of making your own.