Being a man isn’t all about playing sports and video games. Sometimes we actually DO have to apply ourselves. Sometimes. For example: shaving. Seriously, let’s not only change my five-minute morning routine into a 35-minute one but also add $10 to $15 dollars in cost.
Well, guess what?! We’ve solved all that for you. Well, at least a small chunk of it. Enter: DIY aftershave recipes. These two aftershaves are super-easy to make, totally cruelty-free, and good for your skin!
This one takes a bit of prep time, but it’s totally worth it. You’ll also need a coffee filter or cheesecloth.
- Put the cucumber in a blender, rind and all, and blend until liquefied. Add the mint extract and blend for another 30 seconds.
- Strain the mixture through a coffee filter or cheesecloth (don’t worry, there’s not actually cheese involved). This may take a little while, but you can save the pulp for a facial mask (try mixing it with our DIY Avocado Facial Mask).
- Add the strained liquid to the water and microwave for 4 minutes. Remove and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Store in a clean container in the refrigerator.
This one is my favorite! To change it up, you can use any essential oil (such as peppermint or lavender).
- Soften the shea butter in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Add the coconut oil and orange essential oil and whip by hand or with a standing mixer until frothy and beautiful (kind of like frosting). Don’t eat it. 😉
- Store in a jar in a cool place. (The aftershave WILL MELT if it’s not stored in a cool enough place.)
Totally awesome, right? If you’re in need of more cruelty-free products, you should sign up to get one of our FREE pocket shopping guides: