Yesterday marked the start of World Week for Animals in Laboratories, and if you were wondering how you can help, look no further! Obviously, shopping cruelty-free (and never purchasing products that are tested on animals) is the easiest way, but if you’re looking for more ways to make a difference, check this out:
- Go vegan. Not only does eating meat cost billions of animals their lives, it also makes us sick. Experimenters then use these largely preventable diseases, such as obesity and heart disease, as an excuse to conduct cruel and deadly experiments on animals. Companies and the government also fund experiments to find ways to make factory-farmed animals grow larger faster.
- Quit smoking. It may shock you, but companies like R.J. Reynolds, and Philip Morris continue to force rats to undergo nasty experiments in order to develop new cigarettes. Experimenters at universities also pump cigarette smoke into dogs’ lungs and addict pregnant monkeys and their babies to nicotine in order to study smoking-related diseases.
- Spay, neuter, and adopt. Heartless vivisectors exploit the animal overpopulation crisis by purchasing homeless animals from shelters to torment and kill in their laboratories. Spaying and neutering your animal companions and promoting animal adoptions help to cut off this supply of cheap laboratory “equipment.” PETA’s recent success in stopping pound seizure in Utah saved countless animals from a painful death in a laboratory.
- Only donate to cruelty-free charities. Sadly, some charities—including the March of Dimes and the American Cancer Society—fund cruel and ineffective experiments that harm animals and take resources that could be spent on modern and relevant non-animal research.
- Don’t dissect! Every year, over ten million animals are killed for classroom dissections—while humane alternatives exist. These animals are stolen from the wild, purchased from shelters, or bred in warehouses like this one. Learn how you can help here.
Want to help right now? Share this blog and our “Testing 1,2,3” video with all of your friends!