8 Fun Facts About Frogs
Frogs are best known for their webbed feet and flying leaps, but these complex, sensitive animals have many other amazing characteristics and capabilities. Check out these fun li’l facts about our froggie friends:
- Frogs hibernate in the wintertime.
- Frogs don’t drink water with their mouths; they absorb it through their skin.
- Frogs are cold blooded; they take on the temperature of their surroundings.
- Frogs can jump over 20 times their body length.
- Frogs shed their skin about once a week and then usually eat it afterward. Zoiks!
- Frog fossils have been found all over the world. Some of the fossils are as old as dinosaurs!
- A group of frogs is called an army.
- Male frogs are the only ones who croak/sing. Females use these songs to find a suitable mate.
Countless frogs are tortured, killed, and deprived of everything that is natural and important to them. They are dissected in laboratories and classrooms, oftentimes while their hearts are still beating; they are sold as desktop “decorations” by the “pet” industry, doomed to live in tiny plastic boxes, and are hunted for their meat (can you believe!?) in what’s known as frog gigging.
Frogs are our friends. They just want to live and be free like the rest of us! Please spread the word and speak up for frogs whenever you can! xx