Recipe of the Week: Creamy Mashed Potatoes!
What’s the first side dish you think of when you think “Thanksgiving“?
Mashed potatoes! I’m going to assume that everyone loves potatoes as much as I do—they’re deliciously versatile and sometimes they even come in a box (maybe not as tasty as the real deal—but, hey, I’m a busy woman). My family always makes this mashed potato recipe, and I finally got them to veganize it a few years ago. So here you have it: creamy mashed potatoes!
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
3 lbs. potatoes, peeled
1/2 cup vegan sour cream
1 1/2 cups soy milk
3 Tbsp. onion powder
3 Tbsp. garlic powder
Salt, to taste
Chives, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and cook for about 30 minutes. (They’re done when you can stick a fork through them.)
- Drain the water and put the potatoes back in the pot.
- Over low heat, mash the potatoes with a potato ricer or a large fork.
- Add the vegan sour cream, soy milk, and onion and garlic powders and stir.
- Taste to make sure everything is all good in the hood. Add salt, to taste.
- If you’re going to serve the dish immediately, just warm it up a bit on the stove. If you’re going to serve it later, place in a pan and refrigerate. Before serving, warm it in the oven at 350ºF for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle some snipped chives on top, so your potatoes look pretty!
Be sure to tune in next week for more drool-worthy Thanksgiving dishes!