Recipe of the Week: Fancy Boxed Spanish Rice!
This week, I present my absolute fave dinner: boxed Spanish rice—but fancier! It started out as former peta2 staffer Pulin’s favorite dinner, and I sort of stole the recipe from him (shhhh! We don’t want him to figure it out!).
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 box of Near East Spanish Rice (if your grocery store doesn’t carry this brand, just grab the Rice-A-Roni version instead)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (as listed on the box)
- 2 cups of water (as listed on the box)
- ½ block of tofu (I prefer to crumble the tofu instead of cutting into cubes—draining not necessary here)
- 2 cups of frozen spinach
- Cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Nutritional yeast (to taste)
First, follow the directions on the box to get everything goin’ (you’ll use the water and olive oil during this part). After you’ve had the rice in the pan for about five minutes, add in the spinach and tofu. Cover and let cook for about five more minutes, and then add in as much nutritional yeast as you’d like. I l-o-v-e nutritional yeast, so I add about a cup (this is another secret, ya’ll—I can trust you, right?). Sprinkle on some cayenne pepper if you’ve got it—if you don’t, you can use paprika, chili powder … whatever you want, really.
I’ve made this box of rice in so many ways—try customizing the recipe by using different veggies, vegan meats, or soy cheese. The best part: You can use this formula with any vegan flavored rice pack. Genius.