What NOT to Do: At Protests
Just when you thought our “What NOT To Do” series was over …
- Get all up on private property. Seriously. This is a no-no. Don’t go into a McDonald’s or try to sneak past Ringling security—ya know what we’re saying. Your job here is to get the word out, not get arrested. Remember: these companies want you to get the hell outta there (aka: be arrested or otherwise kicked out) so if you get sent away by the police, they win.
- Yell at circus goers, McDonald’s patrons, etc. Yelling in someone’s face does NOTHING but makes you look like a lunatic. If the animals could speak, would they ask you to do that? Nope.
- Chat on your cellphone during the protest (uh, focus much?)
- Hold your sign crooked, upside down, etc.
- Make a handmade sign that looks totally wack (please, look up words if you don’t know how to spell them, seriously, we won’t judge!)
- Chit chat with everyone next to you while not paying any attention to what’s going on (again, you’re trying to seem like a force of solidarity with those around you and with the animals, not like you’re trying to hold a social hour)
- Cover your face with your sign
- Ask us for help!
- Be professional (dress the part, and again, don’t yell at anyone)
- Plan ahead (get a permit if necessary, find out exactly where private property lines are)
- Spread out so it looks like there are more people at your protest than there really are
- Pass this info on to every single person who attends your protest and make sure you keep everyone in line!