A dog named Violet was severely burned and nearly died after someone attempted to dye her fur purple with a product intended for human hair. Her heart-breaking story went viral after Pinellas County Animal Services in Florida posted images of her ordeal on Facebook with a warning to animal guardians: “Do NOT, under any circumstances, use hair color intended for humans on your [companion animals].”

Posted by Pinellas County Animal Services on Wednesday, January 24, 2018

According to Animal Services, when veterinarians shaved Violet’s fur to get a closer look at her injuries, they discovered that her skin was coming off in sheets, along with the purple fur. Her eyes were swollen shut and her body was limp. They worried that she might not survive.

Posted by Pinellas County Animal Services on Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Animals aren’t fashion accessories. Never attempt to dye their fur.

It’s never a good idea to try to color an animal’s fur, even with nontoxic products. While humans may enjoy expressing themselves with hair color, nail polish, or tattoos, other animals have no desire or need to change their appearance for aesthetic purposes.

Posted by Pinellas County Animal Services on Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Routine grooming is necessary for many species, but we should never perform any beauty procedure on animals that doesn’t benefit their health or well-being. Coloring an animal’s fur isn’t cool—it’s selfish. And it’s not worth the risk.

Posted by Pinellas County Animal Services on Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Share this story to help us spread the word.

After months of veterinary care, Violet has finally healed and been adopted by a new guardian who loves her just the way she is. Other animals, though, may not be so lucky. Please share Violet’s story with everyone you know—it could save lives!

Posted by Pinellas County Animal Services on Wednesday, January 24, 2018

SHARE VIOLET’S STORY! ?