What are you guys up to Sunday night? Doing anything exciting? Maybe watching a little game called the Super Bowl? I’m not going to lie and say I’m a huge football fan. (I don’t even know which two teams are playing this year. Seriously.) But there is something I’m a huge fan of: Super Bowl party food! Watching the big game is fun and all, but let’s be honest—it’s the food that brings everyone together. Am I right? Of course I am!
This year, let’s leave the greasy burgers and barbecued chicken on the sidelines and tempt the football fans in our lives with these tasty meat-free alternatives!
7-Layer Mexican Dip
1 8-oz. pkg. Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
1 Tbsp. taco seasoning mix
1 cup guacamole
1 cup chunky salsa
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 cup shredded soy cheddar cheese (try Daiya brand)
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2 Tbsp. sliced pitted olives
- Mix the “cream cheese” and taco seasoning together. Spread onto the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate or other dish.
- Layer on the guacamole, salsa, lettuce, soy cheese, green onions, and olives. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups unbleached white flour
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 cup mustard
1/2 cup water
2 pkgs. Gardein vegan Chick’n Strips
3 1/2 cups canola oil
- Mix together the salt, onion powder, pepper, garlic powder, flour, and yeast in a deep bowl. In a separate bowl, dilute the mustard with the water and stir until soupy. Add 1/3 cup of the flour mixture to the mustard mixture and stir until the batter thickens—it’s OK if it’s lumpy.
- Dip large chunks of the Chick’n Strips into the mustard batter first, then into the flour mixture to coat with the desired amount of crust.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet. Fry the chunks, turning as needed, over medium to high heat until crispy and golden brown. Serve immediately. (The leftovers are great. Try them straight from the fridge!)
Makes 4 servings
Half-Time Hero Sandwich
1 submarine roll or mini-baguette
Vegan mayonnaise, to taste
6 veggie deli slices (faux turkey, ham, salami, bologna)
2 slices soy cheese
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
3 slices tomato
Red and green pepper slices, to taste
1/4 cup sliced black or stuffed green olives
1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
Olive oil, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice the roll or baguette in half and spread on the vegan mayonnaise. Place the deli slices, soy cheese, onion, tomato, peppers, olives, and lettuce on the bread. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Makes 1 serving
Any of these dishes are sure to score a taste-bud touchdown with your friends and family! Which one are you making?