- 2 Tbsp. (1/4 stick) vegan margarine
- 1 medium-sized onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. garlic salt
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. nutritional yeast
- 1-2 Tbsp. soy sauce or tamari
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp. liquid smoke (optional)
• Heat the vegan margarine in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
• Sauté the onion for a few minutes until brown, then add the flour and garlic salt and sauté for another 8 to 9 minutes.
• Dissolve the cornstarch in the water. Add to the onion mixture gradually, bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.
• Strain the gravy through a fine mesh strainer into a separate saucepan and add the nutritional yeast, soy sauce, pepper, and liquid smoke.
• Simmer for 1 or 2 more minutes, stirring constantly. Keep warm.