Mom’s Mashed Potatoes
- 3 potatoes—with or without the skins
- 1/3 cup chopped onions
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves—minced
- 3/4 cups non-dairy milk
- 1-2 Tbsp. soy margarine
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tsp. rosemary (or whatever spices that you like)
- some of your favorite vegan friendly gravy (optional)
- You’ll want to start things off by getting a large pot of water set up and bringing it to a boil.
- While you’re waiting for the water to boil, scrub the potatoes and peel them if you would like.
- Once they’re cleaned, cut the potatoes in half and start dicing them.
- When the potatoes are all diced up, start chopping up an onion enough for 1/3 cup.
- By this time, the water should be boiling, and you can toss the potatoes and onions in the water for about 15 minutes.
- Relax for about 10 minutes and join the peta2 Street Team if you haven’t already, or clean up your mess, and start mincing up the garlic.
- Put about 1 teaspoon of oil in a saucepan and sautee the garlic for about 30 seconds.
- Add the non-dairy milk of your choice (I used rice milk) to the saucepan and reduce the heat to low, just enough to keep it warm.
- By this time the potatoes should be done, drain them, and put them back in the pot for some mashing!
- Add in the garlic mixture, 1-2 tablespoons of soy margarine, a pinch of salt, and your spices while mashing to add some flavor.
- If you’re a fan of gravy, toss some of that on top and you’ll have quite the side dish!