Sweetheart Sushi Rolls
- 1 cup sushi rice, cooked and cooled (see tip)
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. beet juice, for coloring the rice (see tip)
- 3 nori sheets
- Vegan sushi fillings (we used avocado)
- Soy sauce, for dipping
• Combine the sushi rice, rice vinegar, sugar, and beet juice in a medium bowl and mix well.
• Place 1/3 cup of the rice mixture in the center of each nori sheet, moisten your hands with water, and gently but firmly press the rice into a thin layer covering the sheet. Add a line of the vegan sushi fillings along one edge of each sheet.
• Roll up each sheet, starting with the edge with the fillings, carefully but tightly. Seal by moistening the loose edge of the sheet and pressing into the roll, then slice each roll into 6 pieces and arrange on a platter.
• Serve with soy sauce and enjoy!
Tip: Spread the sushi rice onto a cutting board to speed up cooling. Tip #2: Need help finding beet juice? Check your local health food store or juice bar. We simply asked our local juice bar for 1 oz. of beet juice. Can’t find any? Buy a package of prepared, uncooked beets and use the juice from the package. 🙂
Makes 3 servings